Monday, September 10, 2012

Out To Sea: Adventures in Sailing

With all the different clubs, teams and groups at WMU, how can you not be tempted to try something new?
Well, this weekend I took a big step (more like lunge!) out of the box and went out on the water with the sailing team. Luckily, Ann Marie, my roommate was right there with me, so I wasn't the only newbie. With absolutely no sailing experience under our belts, we were paired together with one instructor/ team member to teach us the ways of the waves.
As with anything new and different, we were a little bit scared. Our biggest concern was tipping - after all, these were not the big sail boats we had imagined. Three people in one small boat was a tight fit! However, once we were reassured that we would be safe with Mike, our "Skipper" and one of the most experienced sailors on the team, we put on our life jackets and climbed in.
Once we got out on the water, we had a blast! Sailing was so incredibly fun and when the wind dies down and you start to float a little slower, it is the most relaxing feeling. We were told our instructions as the "crew" and practiced until we felt comfortable doing our jobs.
There were about 5-10 small sailboats out with us, and of course the day simply wouldn't be complete with out a little competition. The goal was to make it to the island then once everyone was there, race back. The wind picked up and we were off to a good start, with only one boat near to us. We were picking up speed and cruising along, when Mike told us to "tack" which meant we (Ann Marie and myself) turned the front sail in the opposite direction and moved to the other side of the boat while doing so. We had already done it about five or so times earlier, so we went ahead and tacked the sail. But, being beginners, we moved after we adjusted the sails and not before, causing the boat to capsize.

And who would be the only one to fall out of the boat? Me.
Somehow, Mike climbed onto the other side of the boat and was able to flip it back over (after i was already in the water) and Ann Marie, who was nearly dying of laughter, managed to stay seated where she was. My youth size life jacket (the only size they had left) had managed to keep me afloat, but I now faced a big challenge. How would I get back in the boat? There was no handle or anything to grab on to, and everything was slippery and wet. Well, with little effort Mike pulled me right into the boat where I flopped on board like a fish. When everyone finally was able to stop laughing, we headed our now-full-of-water sail boat back. Believe it or not, we weren't in last place either! Once ashore, we tried to warm up our soaked selves, with little luck. I was ready to go back to my room and make some hot chocolate for Ann Marie and I!
Sailing was such a wonderful experience, and I can't wait to go back out on the water! Although, this time, I wouldn't mind staying IN the boat.

2 comments:

  1. Aww I love this post im soo happy i took the time to read this deffinietly made my day a little brighter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks! I was like "omg a commet!?" Blogging is actually kind of fun!!

    ReplyDelete