Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Good Reads

Contrary to my "two truths and a lie" ice breaker that we did in class, I actually love to read! I do not, however, love public speaking, which is how my nerves got the better of me and made me jumble up my thought-to-word process.

My favorite author is Nicholas Sparks, I'm a sucker for a good love story. I also made it through Sarah Dessen's list of published books, the Twilight saga, and the Hunger Games series. I am currently reading 50 Shades of Grey by E.L. James (I tend to pick up the trending books) just finished the first book in the series of three last night . My favorite book to this day is Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, but I'll read anything that catches my eye. These are all great reads, I would definitely recommend opening them up if you like a good romance novel.

Aside from reading about the interesting life style of Christian Grey, I am also currently reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. This is the Campus-read here at Western Michigan University. I started reading it over the summer, and while the plot really pulls me in, it can be a bit hard to follow with all the medical terminology! I am nearly finished with part two of the book, and really need to try to get myself back into it (if I hope to pass English 1050 that is!) The bottom line of the book is such a controversial and interesting topic, I would also recommend this book to anyone out there, don't let the big words scare you off.

Henrietta's cells, known to the medical world as "HeLa" have changed modern medicine as the world once knew it. They were taken without the permission of Mrs. Lacks or her family, and while they had no knowledge of it in the beginning, these cancerous cells became the first cells to reproduce themselves, allowing for an infinite amount of testing to be done. The book is about how Rebecca Skloot, the author, gets down to the nitty-gritty and tells Henrietta's story to the world. You really form an opinion early on about how you feel towards the Lacks family and towards the scientists, researchers and doctors who took, grew and studied Hela cells.

No comments:

Post a Comment